Monday, August 31, 2009

The New Digs Got Me Standin' Up Straight

Recently two co-workers, a couple to be precise, were finishing up their contract at the school I work for and it occurred to me- luckily before it did anyone else- that their apartment would be up for grabs. I ran to my supervisor and pleaded for it and she warned me: this apartment would cost me extra. Thinking of the growing curvature in my back from leaning over for half a year in my shower and kitchen I begged to know the expense. She said with a heavy sigh, 100,000 won. Would I still be interested? Ladies and gentlemen, 100,000 won as of this writing translates to $80.47 US Dollars. Considering my last apartment in Boston was $750.00 with at least $200 extra dollars in utilities, involved two roommates at each other's throats, and was right next to the commuter rail line that made my room rattle when it passed like in the Blues Brothers, I gave her a Cheshire Cat's grin. "Oh yeah, I can swing that."

Here's the digs:



























This is room is where the bed and couch are and it's already larger than the previous studio I lived in. Outside the gated balcony lies some of the most beautiful foliage I have seen in the concrete jungle. Now the best part..




































Hooooley shittttt. That was mainly the first thing I thought of when I saw this bathroom. I mean, hot damn that's a real shower! That is not a sink with a hose out the nozzle. That is a vegas hotel room shower stall. De-licious. My back feels better already.

The kitchen though is my favorite part.



























I have an oven now! A kitchen table with chairs! There's a device I can put my wet dishes in to be air dried! A legit fridge! 80 bucks. All this can be yours for 80 bucks.

And the willingness to uproot yourself into an entirely new paradigm with an infant's grasping of the language but still....80 bucks.



























Those are my closets. That is my little bitty TV. It's actually a regular sized TV but compared to all the negative space around it looks like a golf pencil dropped into a mine shaft. That sounded grosser than it should have. Moving on..




































Inside one of said closets. The interesting thing about moving in here is that suddenly I want to spend money for no reason to fill up all the space but common sense is staying my hand.

Moving into this apartment marks the start of my sixth month here in Korea. I have a bicycle now with a basket, I can read Korean perfectly, I understand the language and can communicate moderately well in any situation. I am learning how to be an effective kindergarten teacher more and more everyday. It has truly been a remarkable shift in just half a year. It defines the phrase that a single day can change your life. So if you're on this side of the world, hey, gimmie a buzz. There's plenty of room on the couch for ya!

Thanks for stopping by!

40 comments:

  1. Drive carefully. It is not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.............................................

    ReplyDelete
  2. 先告訴自己希望成為什麼樣的人,然後一步一步實踐必要的步驟。........................................

    ReplyDelete
  3. 當你真心渴望某一樣東西,整個宇宙都會聯合起來幫助你。 ....................................................

    ReplyDelete
  4. 聰明的人喜歡猜心 雖然每次都猜對了卻失去了自己的心..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  5. 這個時代,不缺乏感傷,但缺乏反思~~希望能多看到值得思考.................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  6. 來給你加油打氣!!!保重!!!.................................................................                           

    ReplyDelete
  7. 喜歡看大家的文章,每篇都是一個故事,都是一種心情~~祝大家開心愉快............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  8. 一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼.................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  9. 一時的錯誤不算什麼,錯而不改才是一生中永遠且最大的錯誤..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  10. 讓好心情回味發酵;壞心情留在文字裡隨時間消逝吧!............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  11. 愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

    ReplyDelete
  12. 心中醒,口中說,紙上作,不從身上習過,皆無用也。..................................................

    ReplyDelete