Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Strange Combinations












































South Korea is a truly interesting place in that it retains a huge personality despite it's many conquests by China and Japan (to name a few over the years) yet is radically and happily influenced by American pop culture. Especially is this prevalent in the town I am currently living in, Suji, since it is such a "new" city (having been build in the early 1990's.) Fashion is a huge national concern and women are dressed impeccably with heels on no matter the weather and men's hair is always quaffed and their clothes tailored down to the socks. But what immediately is striking me are the odd mixtures of things and variations on everyday routines that I am seeing here. These pictures are just a few of the images that immediately grabbed me as humorous.
1. Never would I have though that Abba and the Blues Brothers would make such a winning combination but when it's night and these lights get flipped on, look out!
2. Okay, I know this is a much different symbol than what was used in Nazi Germany, but to see it EVERYWHERE is a little unsettling nonetheless, especially since this Hindu symbol of life is being used to sell everything from vacuum cleaners to discount pork dumplings. With a last name like Adelberg, let's just say it grabs my attention. {Interesting Note: Since posting this entry Photobucket has removed my right to be able to show you this image of the Hindu Swastika.  Even though it is in the proper context of not being tilted like the Nazi's did, it just goes to show you how jarring this image truly is.  For a picture, please use the hyperlink.}
3. I have never thought either of these chains were the best representatives of their individuals niches but they have been in my body more often than I care to remember over the years. I guess it's not just America that runs on Dunkin anymore.
4. South Korea. The Colonel. 'nuff said.
5. Now at first glance I thought this must be a comic book shop. But after careful inspection this
is actually a Batman..cocktail bar? They LOVE super-heroes over here, so much so that I guess they want to be in the presence of them when they drink whiskey or the national drink of choice, Soju (which one bottle of will KICK you ass..believe me..). Now of all the combinations, Bruce Wayne, a character that is pure willpower driven to the pinnacle of human perfection and cheap rice wine are not my first choice as a successful marriage.
6. All pizza should come in a red bow. It really does make it taste better. Papa John's? Pay attention.

3 comments:

  1. I love the 3rd pic - besides the businesses, how much crap can be hung on one telephone pole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Alan. I really enjoyed it. If you ever run across cheap Dharma (or Daruma) dolls, grab me a couple. I'll pay you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up bro? I have to tell you I've never laughed so hard but the bathroom set up is hilarious.

    Can't wait for the next update.....

    ReplyDelete